Hayingen, The county of Reutlingen
The abbot of Zwiefalten, Augustin Stegmüller, built Schloss Ehrenfels from 1735 to 1740 as a summer residence. It was completed between 1744 and 1765 by Abbot Benedict of Zwiefalten. Because of the secularization of the Zwiefalten monastery in 1803, Schloss Ehrenfels was given to Duke Frederick II of Württemberg, who, in the same year, gave it to the Württemberg Minister of State Philipp Christian Frederick Freiherr of Normann. The castle was supposed to be a tribute to his achievements in the negotiations with Napoleon and the French since he succeeded in gaining territory for Württemberg. He helped Frederick to become king and was hence raised to be count. From then on, Normann called himself Normann-Ehrenfels and used Schloss Ehrenfels as his official noble residence. Until 2015, the castle was owned by his great-grandson Roland Freiherr of Saint-André. Today, the so-called “Schloss Ehrenfels Saint-André Foundation” is based in Schloss Ehrenfels. The foundation’s purpose is to promote art, culture and history as well as the preservation of historical monuments. The castle can also be used for events and can be visited upon making an appointment.