Gundelfingen (Münsingen), The county of Reutlingen
Niedergundelfingen in its currents form was built around 1250 by Swigger IX. It remained in the possession of the Niedergundelfingen family until 1407, when it was sold to the village of Gundelfingen. According to a description from around 1700, a chapel, a backhouse, a barn and stables as well as several meadows, fields and fishing waters belonged to the castle’s property. After a number of changes in its ownership, Niedergundelfingen became a ruin in the 19th century. It was largely demolished by the villagers of Gundelfingen until the castle was privatized and today’s gatehouse was built. In 1906, the restoration began although significant part of the enclosing wall had collapsed.