Rietheim (Münsingen), The county of Reutlingen
The former owners of Littstein Castle, which once was located high above the Trailfinger valley, are not known. An 18th century description describes a crumbling castle above the village of Seeburg. Despite this clue, the location remained unknown for quite some time, until a description, written by the Oberamt in 1831, assumed its position on the opposite side of the Trailfinger valley in an area called Schanze. Elsewhere in the description the castle is connected to the settlement of Elwangen. According to archaeological finds, Littstein or Hohenlittstein appears to have been built sometime during the 13th century and it must have been abandoned or destroyed during the same century. It probably was the home of knightly servants to the Counts of Urach. A source dating back to 1328 mentions a so-called Eberhardus de Litestein, who was a mercenary for the city of Pisa, and another text from 1356, writes about a certain Herrico de Litesten, who was leader of a papal troop. Whether these two people can actually be brought into connection with Littstein remains unanswered.