Buttenhausen (Münsingen), The county of Reutlingen
The castle is believed to have been built in the 14th century as it was first mentioned in 1389 when the knight Frederick III of Gundelfingen sold it to Konrad, Provost of the Monastery of St. Maria in Güterstein. The complex was inhabited until the 16th century and became subsequently known as “old castle on the mountain” to distinguish it from a lower castle or a water castle situated in town. In the 18th century, a part of the castle was used as a storehouse for fruits and the like. After it was demolished, the property was converted into a cemetery in 1825. The only part remaining is the ring wall enclosing the cemetery, which, in its current form, was only built between the years 1970 and 1972.