Lenningen, The county of Esslingen
Height: Circa 735-780 Meter
The castle, built on a steep rocky ridge of a mountain spur between the Lenninger and Bissinger Valley, presumably dates back to the early Middle Ages. Only a few remains of the wall and deep moats carved into the rock have survived.
The Obere Diepoldsburg is probably the “Thietpoldispurch,” where the Swabian Count Palatine Erchanger held the Bishop of Constance prisoner in 914. Some of the archaeological finds indicate that the castle and its fortifications existed as early as the 9th and were used until the 11th century. Additionally, the historical context suggests that it may have been home to the Dukes of Swabia, who were part of the Burchardinger family. However, there are no written sources dating back to the High Middle Ages referring to this.
It is possible that the Obere Diepoldsburg got destroyed in 1078 during the military conflict between the Swabian nobility and King Henry IV. On the other hand, it could also be the case that it lost its former importance due to the construction of the neighboring castle Teck by the Counts of Nellenburg in the 11th century.
Probably around 1200, the Obere Diepoldsburg was rebuild by a noble family, whose members first appeared in written sources in 1210. They most possibly were noble servants to the Dukes of Teck. In 1297, the castle seems to have belonged to the Dukes of Teck, who partially lived there and did not lend it to any of their servants. With half of the Teck’s sphere of influence, the Obere Diepoldsburg was given to the Habsburg family in 1303, which pledged it to Württemberg in 1323. In the 14th century, the noble Lords of Grafeneck appeared as its owners, who also lived there for a period of time.